Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Monday, March 12, 2012

Adverb Clause

ADVERB CLAUSES TO SHOW TIME RELATIONSHIPS


For Example:

AFTER
- after she graduates, she will get a job.
- after she had graduated, she got a job.

BEFORE
- I will leave before he comes.

- I had left before he came.

WHEN
- when I arrived, he was talking on the phone.
- when I got there, he had already left.
- when it began to rain, I stood under a tree.
- when I was in Chicago, I visited the museums.
- when I see him tomorrow, I will ask him.

WHILE, AS
- while I was walking home, it began to rain.
- as I was walking home, it began to rain.

BY THE TIME
- by the time he arrived, we had already left.
- by the time he comes, we will already have left.

SINCE
- I haven't seen him since he left this morning.

UNTIL, TILL
- we stayed there (until/ till) we finished our work.

AS SOON AS, ONCE
- (as soon as/ once) it stops raining, we will leave.

AS LONG AS, SO LONG AS
- I will never speak to him again (as long as/ so long as) I live

WHENEVER, EVERY TIME
- (whenever/ every time) I see her, I say hello.

THE FIRST TIME, THE LAST TIME, THE NEXT TIME
- the first time I went to New York, I went to an opera.
- I saw two plays the last time I went to New York.
- the next time I go to New York, I'm going to see a ballet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment